Monday, May 7, 2007

(In)Security

What does it mean to be secure, what is meant by being in security? I stole this definition of Security v. (In)security from Change Addicts:

So here is the issue, insecurity comes when we derive our success and our existence by our ability to interpret the rules in front of us and feel that we are secure. It is following the law for fear of its consequences instead of following it in the faith of its outcomes.

We are (in)secure when we are abiding by what seems to be the standard rule, or the methods of how things should be. Who defines what those rules are? And are we inherently neglecting our faith when we take the path that has been well traveled? Are we being creative or are we being reactive? As an example, what happens when I look at myself in the mirror and I critique the bags under my eyes and the softness around my waist? What rules does that result from? How does that play into the above definition of insecurity? Well I guess a good questions would be, what standards of beauty am I comparing my under-eye bags and slight pudginess in my waistline to? It didn't come from the sky, I didn't just create the insecurity on my own. I did opt into the standard, though. And even though their aren't blatant displays of what the rules are, there are plenty of places that reinforce the fact that in someone's opinion, in the midst of mass consciousness, I'm not good enough. Not that it really matters, I feel thankful for the battle scars that are the attention I pay to my minor flaws (yes I believe them to be minor). I've walked away less battered than most. There are other young women who are walking around everyday coming to pieces because of their insecurities. So how do I become in secure, rather than insecure? The comparison, the standards that are set, make us actually believe that their is a possibility that God made a mistake. Maybe God forgot something in the process when it came to me. Maybe, just maybe someone else has the authority to tell me what is wrong with me and what beauty and completion really is. I want to let you in on a little secret......we've been lied to. You were and are created in God's flawless image. There is no absolute definition of what beauty is or what's right. We are making this up as we go along, creating what our ideas of the things that we desire and the things that we don't. You get to choose and you get to choose what and what not to listen to. Unfortunately their are many people, just like you, who allow someone else to define what the standards are for them. Do you want the power of security? It first starts with you taking the power to make the decisions about what you like and/or are attracted to for yourself, without regard to the opinions of everyone else. Many people would think that it was impossible, but it's not. It doesn't require you to ignore what they think, but it's your responsibility and right to allow yourself to choose what is for you and what's not for you based upon what is before you. Stop being a zombie, or someone else's drone. If you like it, cool, if you don't, cool. Stop allowing other people to inform your security. Allow the Divine to be your guide, that is the only absolute truth. Deprogramming is probably one of the most difficult undertakes somebody can do, but it's still more than possible and it gives you the benefit of security in yourGod, yourSelf, your decisions and FREEDOM.

No comments: