Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Game recognize game.....

.....and you're looking kinda unfamiliar right now. I love that line from the Boondocks. I'm not sure Riley has spoken any greater truth. How would you recognize something that is completely unfamiliar to you? You recognize things that are inherit in yourself, things that you have taken the time to familiarize yourself with, and/or are a part of you. Remember the saying "No one will treat you better than you treat yourself"? I'd like to add something to that: in the event that someone did, you wouldn't be able to appreciate it, because you wouldn't recognize what they are doing. So here's the whole thing:

No one will treat you better than you treat yourself and if they do you won't be able to appreciate it.

In all honesty that applies to so many other things, no one will love you if you don't love yourself. No one will value you if you don't value yourself. When you think about it, how would you be able to recognize it unless you've experienced it first hand?

To recognize is to re-cognize and to re-familiarize. Unless you allow yourself the respect, love, treatment, and patience of yourself, you'll have a hard time receiving it (or recognizing it for that matter) from another person. Treating yourself in the best way possible, actually accepting the person that you are and loving that person leaves no room for anything less when dealing with other people. When you give yourself the most that you can it allows you to recognize and appreciate when someone respects you at the level you deserve. There becomes a shift in what is familiar and what is unfamiliar. You are then more open to welcome and accept the respect, while keeping yourself unfamiliar with what and who conflicts with your self-respect. It is habitual for most people to welcome and accept the familiar and keep what is unfamiliar at a distance. Why not become familiar with your own self-love and self-respect, that way you won't have to worry about someone else defining what you deserve?

I am taking the time to get acquainted with the person that I have grown to be. I am taking the time to trust myself and love myself unconditionally. The people who I choose to share my life with are reaping the benefits (I hope) of me growing from this elevated place. That way not only do I recognize their respect and love for me, I also appreciate it. Not long ago, though, I was in a place where I couldn't. Thank you God for my growth.

Take the time to sit down and make a list of the ways you can treat yourself better. I'll share my list with you:

How to treat myself in the best way possible

1. Stop being so hard on myself
2. Accept myself, as I am, without condition
3. Take the time to spend time with myself, by myself
4. Commit myself to doing things for myself, that I enjoy
5. Instead of pointing out my flaws, take the time to pay attention to the things that I love about myself
6. Accept compliments
7. Dance whenever I get the chance
8. Keep promises I make to myself
9. Spend time with friends that I have a great time with
10. Make myself a priority and not allow myself to be pulled in all different directions

Enjoy!
Please share with me any of the ways you take the time to treat yourself the best way possible, I'm always looking for suggestions!

No comments: