Saturday, March 24, 2007

Making deals with the devil...Is it worth it?

How often have you been involved in a situation where it seems like you could have something you want but the wages you must pay aren't worth it? Your happiness may be on the line. You integrity may be on the line. Whatever it is, it's almost synonymous with making a deal with the devil. Putting yourself on the line for something that seems potentially good at the time. Let me give you an example, I had the opportunity to engage in a friendship with a person who by all appearances was a good person, seemed like a fairly win-win situation. I get a good friend, and I get to be a good friend in return, right? Wrong...what wasn't first revealed in this proposition were all the terms and conditions. Yes, terms and conditions in a friendship! Basically, when I actually took a step back and looked at the situation, I would have been compromising myself to have something that wasn't worth that price. So I made the decision to cut ties. I am a God-loving woman and my soul isn't for sale.

I'm working on being a person of integrity everyday. I believe that all great leaders should strive for flawless integrity. Compromising the things that I value most in myself goes against the person I strive to be. I know that any experience worth having and any person worth knowing is only worthwhile through me honoring the person I am. What I saw on the horizon in the situation I described earlier was discomfort from being dishonest with myself and selling myself short. Knowing your worth and what you will and will not settle for are key in situations such as these. Thinking in my right mind from day one, the situation would not have required any hesitation. When someone asks you to compromise yourself, it's time to bounce. Do you know what you are worth? Do you know what you won't stand for? If you can't answer yes to both of these questions, it's time to start evaluating.

How are you going to know what to do when trouble rears its head? To prevent yourself from offering yourself up prematurely, not staying true to your worthiness, and from being taken advantage of its a good idea to take the time to get acquainted with your worth. What is your worth? I can tell you, but it won't matter if you don't know it yourself. You are invaluable, there is not price that can be equated with you. When people ask you to compromise your integrity and self value don't hesitate to show them the door because it shouldn't be for sale. Like I've said in previous posts, the situations and people that are to help you on your path are already lined up and you will not have to sell your soul in the process. Yes, there will always be work that needs to be done, in one form or another, to attain the things you desire, but giving of yourself is not the same as compromising yourself. Know the difference so that when propositions occur you can be clear about which you're being asked for.

Question: What are the qualities you strive for? What are some things that you won't stand for?

No comments: